SPAIN’S longtime North Korean ‘ambassador’ has been arrested for arms trafficking.
Alejandro Cao de Benos, an IT consultant from Barcelona who is the only Westerner to work for the reclusive regime, has been picked up by Spanish authorities in Tarragona.
At least nine others were arrested with the 42-year-old, including the head of the alleged arms trafficking gang, which is said to have operated out of Murcia.
Alejandro became intrigued with North Korea when he was growing up, and now visits the repressive regime twice a month as a part of his role.
He claims to receive a warm reception each time he visits.
Inspired to improve North Korea’s international image, Alejandro created the Korean Friendship Association in the year 2000.
It has since amassed official representatives across 28 countries, including Spain, Italy, Norway, Brazil, Germany and Russia.
The allegations he now faces claim he was in posession of three blank-firing pistols modified to shoot real bullets.
However sources say he bought the weapons for his own personal defense from the alleged drug traffickers, one of whom is his room mate.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03