THE UK Foreign Office has issued a warning to British holidaymakers who engage in ‘balconing’.
The trend, which sees holidaymakers jump into their swimming pools from their balconies or leap from one balcony to another, killed three in Spain last year.
A 34-year-old is currently in critical condition after suffering severe injury to his spinal cord when he attempted to jump into the swimming pool below his balcony.
Will Middleton, FCO Consular Director for Southern Europe, said: “We have already seen a number of very serious injuries caused by balcony falls this summer.
“We really do urge people to avoid taking risks around balconies, particularly if you have been drinking.
“A momentary lapse of judgement can lead to a lifetime of consequences. So think balcony safety, look out for friends and avoid doing anything that might cost a life.”
Along with the Travel Association (ABTA), the Foreign Office created guidelines that would-be ‘balconing’ enthusiasts should follow.
The guide said:
- Never lean over, sit or climb on the balcony wall or railings.
- Don’t try to pass items to someone on another balcony.
- Don’t climb from one balcony to another.
- Never stand on balcony furniture.
- Never jump into the pool from your balcony.
- Take extra care on balconies after drinking alcohol as your judgement may be affected.
The re-issued warning is part of a campaign that began five years ago, but the trend has continued unabated.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15