IT’S hard to imagine Benalmadena as nothing other than the buzzing holiday hotspot it is today, but this now Costa del Sol mainstay was once a poor modest fishing village accessible only by dirt roads and nestled on a sprawling countryside emblematic of the Scottish Highlands. The town was transformed in the 1950’s when it became among the first to be developed into a resort for UK and European jet-setters who could afford a break away from the likes of smoggy London and Berlin.
But since the tourism boom throughout the 70’s and 80’s and the package holiday phenomenon of the 90’s, hotels, restaurants and beach clubs have sprung up here at break neck speed – and it’s hardly surprising.
Resting just west of Malaga, a short drive from the airport brings you to 7km of gorgeous sandy beaches packed with a multitude of restaurants and bars along its newly improved promenade.
But there are still remnants of the old Spanish village, as you meander up the cobbled streets into the hillside and find pueblos laden with traditional Spanish architecture and culture. From churches to historic look-out towers, it’s comforting to see the remnants of these now tourist hotspots still exist beyond just black and white photos.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03