DAVID CAMERON has confirmed there will be no second referendum on Britain’s EU membership.
There were hopes for a second chance among Remainers after a petition calling for another vote garnered almost four million signatures.
Asked about the possibility of a round-two, the Prime Minister’s spokesperson said:
“That’s not remotely on the cards. There was a decisive result [in the EU referendum]. The focus of the Cabinet discussion was how we get on and deliver that.”
Cameron chaired the first post-Brexit cabinet meeting on Monday, where ministers agreed to create a government unit focused on drawing up options for the UK’s renegotiation with the EU.
Negotiations, however, will not take place until Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is enacted, which Cameron has said is a job for the next PM.
It was announced today that that position will not be filled until September 2.
Once a new PM is chosen and Article 50 is triggered, a two-year process will see the UK renegotiate its relationship with the EU as it gradually withdraws.
The British Sterling has continued to decline since the Brexit victory, posting a 31-year low against the dollar on Monday morning.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35