LIONEL MESSI has been handed a 21 month jail term for tax evasion following his trial in Spain.
Dad Jorge Messi was also handed a jail term after their Barcelona trial which accused the pair of defrauding Spain of €4.1m between 2007 and 2009.
They also face millions of euros in fines after it was discovered they had used tax havens in Belize and Uruguay to conceal earnings from image rights.
The pair are unlikely to see the inside of a cell, however, as prison terms under two years in Spain can be served under probation.
They were both found guilty of tax evasion on Wednesday by the Barcelona court.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23