STEPHEN HAWKING has said the biggest threats to mankind are pollution and human ‘stupidity’.
The world’s leading theoretical physicist made the comments at the Starmus science conference in Tenerife, Spain.
He said ‘we have certainly not become less greedy or less stupid’ in our treatment of the environment over the past decade’.
“Six years ago, I was warning about pollution and overcrowding, they have gotten worse since then,” he said.
“At this rate, it will be 11 billion by 2100. Air pollution has increased by 8 percent over the past five years. More than 80% of inhabitants of urban areas are exposed to unsafe levels of air pollution.”
The conference’s theme was a tribute to Hawking’s work, which most recently includes a plan to map the entire known universe using radiation patterns.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16