A WELSH teenager has died during a 560-mile pilgrimage in Spain.
Michael Cura, 16, from Swansea, was coming to the end of a cycling pilgrimage with school friends when he collapsed and died.
Travelling 50-60 miles a day, some 21 pupils and eight members of staff had been heading for Santiago de Compostela in north-west Spain via the centuries-old pilgrims route the Camino de Santiago.
The cause of death is not yet known but Michael, an altar boy at the Sacred Heart church in Swansea, was not involved in an accident.
His school says it is devastated by the news.
Fr Jason Jones said: “The parish community of the Sacred Heart at Morriston are deeply saddened and shocked by the sudden death of Michael.
“The family and friends of Michael attended a special mass this morning before jetting off from Heathrow.
“He was a fun-loving, caring and committed altar boy and a helper for the disabled youth. A caring, greatly loved and popular young man who will be very missed.
“It is a very emotional time for the family and for the whole community.”
The pupils and staff will return without finishing the trip while Michael’s parents are being flown out to Spain, a Swansea council spokesperson said.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23