A NERJA animal charity is in crisis and is appealing to the public for help after having its shelter closed down.
Only set up eight months ago, the APA Nerja Estacion Esperanza had managed to build kennels and shelter amenities on rented land thanks to a flood of donations and volunteers.
But despite their efforts the shelter had to be closed due to the sheer overwhelming volumes of animals, and due to the fact that the land could not be concreted, undermining the shelter’s hygiene.
President Laura Leanne Downes told the Olive Press: “Maintaining a Shelter on this scale is not an easy task, funds have to be raised for food, dogs and cats transported backwards and forward from vets, vaccinations given to puppies who also have to be micro-chipped as this is the law, and all the money to achieve this had to come from donations and fundraising.”
She said despite everyone’s inspiring efforts, the shelter had to be shut down.
“It became apparent that the Charity was no longer able to sustain the level of dogs in its care and the painful decision was made that the Shelter had to close, the decision has not been taken easily nor quickly,” she said.
The charity, which is still in operation until it finds a new shelter, is pleading for members of the public to consider adopting one of the many dogs left without a home.
To foster a dog, all of whom have been socialised by the APA Walking Group, email email@example.com.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23