OCEAN-CLEANING sea bins have begun their trial-run in Spain.
The Balearic Islands have allowed the Seabin company to test out its latest prototype, which uses a solar-powered pump, in four different ports.
If successful the bins are likely to be used throughout Spain.
This will be welcomed by Costa del Sol swimmers after experts recently warned that its sewage systems are overflowing into the sea because of people flushing wet wipes and frying oil down the drain.
The submerged bins are fitted to a pontoons and use a pump to suck rubbish from the sea’s surface.
When the bins get full up the plastic can be emptied and recycled.
The ingenious invention was created by two Australian surfers Andrew Turton and Pete Ceglinski, who are based in Mallorca.
They were inspired to tackle pollution by being confronted by waste regularly while surfing.
“It catches everything floating in the water – plastic bottles, paper, oil, fuel, and detergent,” said Ceglinski.
“The majority of my childhood was spent in the water. There’s nothing worse than being out there surrounded by plastic.
“The Seabin project is helping create a better way of life for everyone and every living thing.”
The bins are safe for fish as they do not go close enough to the surface to be sucked in.
After successful rounds of funding and development, the bins are expected to go into mass production in early 2017, when they will be available in 17 countries, including Spain.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16