SPAIN’S constitutional court has suspended Catalonia’s pro-independence roadmap.
The region’s parliament had defied the court by debating the roadmap and announcing a vote to consolidate the move towards sovereignty, which saw a 72 – 11 victory for breaking from Spain.
Magistrates have accepted an appeal by the Spanish government which claimed that Catalonia’s Committee to Study the Constitutive Process – the group responsible for designing the strategy towards independence – violated the Spanish constitution when it allowed parliament to vote on the roadmap.
The Catalan Chamber has until August 21 to relay the court’s decision to its members and present any appeals.
The roadmap reads that the ‘only way possible’ for Catalans to be able to decide their future is to ‘disconnect’ from Spain and disobey its institutions.
Madrid is now considering taking legal action against Catalan’s parliament speaker Carme Forcadell, who may have broken the law by attempting to push forward independence plans.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15