TOURISTS are being duped into taking out ‘rip-off’ car rental insurance which can double the costs.
Firms are using high pressure tactics – including threatening travellers with bills of up to £2,500 if they are involved in an accident – to charge up to £30 a day for protection.
But experts say this is more than ten times the regular rate for that type of insurance.
Tourists in Spain are routinely told that they can not collect their vehicle unless they take expensive cover or hand over their credit cards.
Car rental firms have wrongly told customers that the cheaper policies they bought before they travelled were worthless.
To collect the car they were told they needed to buy extra cover or put down a deposit for around £1,000 on their credit card, which the company keeps if the car gets damaged.
Experts have labelled firms ‘outrageous’ for charging up to £230 for a week’s insurance on a car that cost £280 to rent.
Bob Atkinson, of website Travelsupermarket.com, said: “Sales staff at car fire firms are misleading customers, making them scared and worried when they don’t need to be just to bump up their revenues.”
Some companies included different hidden costs, including breakdown cover and insurance to cover administration costs if the motorist was fined.
When comparing insurance costs for renting a car in Malaga this August, some were more than cost of renting the car.
Europcar’s weekly rental cost was £162, while the insurance was £169.
Hertz weekly rental was £176, and the insurance £161, while Avis’ rental was £169 and the insurance £90.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15