SPAIN and Portugal will not be charged by the EU for missing their deficit targets.
EU governments had been divided over whether or not to punish Madrid and Lisbon after they both repeatedly missed targets, with some arguing letting them off the hook would undermine the institution’s credibility.
Leaders had until August 8 to object the proposal to award the countries clemency.
Governments chose to give the countries extra time, mindful that imposing fines on states where anti-austerity sentiment is already running high could lead to a damaging political fallout, particularly in a post-Brexit Europe.
The final decision rested with the 28 member states in the European Council, where countries including France and Italy argued they should be cut more slack as they try to get their economies back on track.
Germany championed fining the pair as the only way forward, saying that sound public finances are the only foundation for growth.
Madrid must now find savings equivalent to 0.5% of GDP to bring the deficit down to 4.6% this year, and then to 3.1% in 2017 and 2.2% in 2018.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15