THE Partido Popular of Motril has strongly opposed a plan to provide Axarquia with more water.
A proposal had been put forward to transfer water from the Rules and Iznajar dams to Axarquia and Vega de Antequera.
“Taking this water would be an insult to the farmers of the Granada municipalities who also have intensive farming uses, with need for sufficient guaranteed water,” said spokeswoman for the PP in Motril, Luisa Maria Garcia Chamorro.
“We believe that this water is needed in the province of Granada and it is not acceptable that Almuñecar is preparing for a shortage of subtropical crops and the Junta de Andalucia wants to take the water to Malaga.”
Almuñecar’s water shortage has led to farmers warning the local government that they are weeks from disaster.
Chamorro’s protests, however, may have fallen on deaf ears as Velez-Malaga, who requested water from the Rules dam, has received a positive initial response from the Junta de Andalucia, who are looking favourably at the 10,000 jobs that would be created in farming.
- Popular Casino Games Across Europe - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 16:14
- OPINION: Why Mijas needs to see serious change in 2019 - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 17:36
- Is your home in Spain ready for the cold? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:30
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16