A BATTLE between dog owners and environmentalists is brewing on the beaches in the Axarquia.
Environmental group GENA is fighting to close a recently opened dog beach in Torre del Mar.
They claim that dogs pose a threat to surrounding plant life as well as creating an ‘unhygienic area’ for beachgoers.
The group claim that the 50 metre section on the El Morchero was opened without authorisation in August.
Rafael Yus, head of GENA claims that the beach breaks the law, which states that it is forbidden to ‘bathe or clean animals on beaches.’
Tensions are high between environmentalists and dog lovers with the latter saying that the beach is a ‘brilliant, safe place’ for dogs to play and swim.
Danny Santiago, an enraged dog-owner said: “This beach is our only glimmer of hope for the dogs to play and swim. There is nowhere else for us to go.”
- Erasmus future uncertain after Brexit - 6 Oct, 2016 @ 18:00
- Spanish nurses rushing home post Brexit - 6 Oct, 2016 @ 17:00
- Specsavers Optica takes part in National Eye Health Week - 6 Oct, 2016 @ 15:30
- Zara sees profit jump - 6 Oct, 2016 @ 15:00
- Doñana National Park in Sevilla on verge of ‘point of no return’ - 5 Oct, 2016 @ 15:30
- VIDEO: Distressed bull has its horns set on fire in Valencia - 27 Sep, 2016 @ 10:37
- Sexism row over bullet proof vests for female Guardia Civil staff - 26 Sep, 2016 @ 12:03
- Doñana National Park in Sevilla on verge of ‘point of no return’, warn UNESCO - 25 Sep, 2016 @ 12:18
- Guardia Civil uncover €250,000 of drugs in international raid - 24 Sep, 2016 @ 12:00
- Artists come together to present exhibition in Orgiva - 24 Sep, 2016 @ 09:00