SPAIN has been slammed for ‘failing’ to keep its promise to help with the refugee crisis.
A new report from NGO Oxfam Intermon says the country has so far taken only 1% of the roughly 15,000 refugees it agreed to house in an EU redistribution plan, which was created to take some pressure off an overwhelmed Greece and Italy.
“Spain is very far away from fulfilling its promises,” the Oxfam Intermón paper states. “The Spanish Government has only followed through with one percent of the amount it committed to: 201 of the 15,888 people it promised to take have arrived.”
The report, entitled ‘Spain has failed in response to the global refugee crisis’, says Spain, being one of the top 20 economies in the world, has enough resources to do more but lacks enough ‘political will’.
They point to the €40 million spent every year on repairing and reinforcing border fences in Ceuta and Melilla compared to the €16.3 million it allocated to the CETI refugee centres.
The report urges Spain to make ‘radical changes’ to its migration policy.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15