FORMER chief of the International Monetary Fund Rodrigo Rato has begun his trial over an alleged credit card racket at Spain’s Bankia bank.
Rato and 64 other bankers allegedly used ‘unofficial’ company credit cards to make luxury purchases.
Prosecutors claim around €12 million was splashed on hotels, designer clothes, entertainment and travel, all of which were unrelated to their duties.
A lot of the spending occurred while Spain was going through one if the largest financial crises in its history.
Authorities say the purchases were not declared to the Hacienda and that the system began at Caja Madrid bank before being continued by Rato when Bankia was created in 2011.
Bankia had to be bailed out in 2012 at a huge expense to the public.
Rato has denied any wrongdoing.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15