ACTING Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy gained a boost for his party following two regional elections yesterday.
Partido Popular’s Albert Nunez Feijoo secured an absolute majority in Galicia, guaranteeing him a third term, a feat unmatched in any other region in the country in recent times.
PP garnered a staggering 93% of the vote, gaining 42 seats.
The outcome should strengthen Rajoy, a Galician himself, who was heavily involved in the campaign.
In the Basque Country, the Basque Nationalist Party came first, as it has done since the 1980’s.
Socialist Sanchez had a rough night as he continues to struggle in getting his party to back his leadership.
His candidates in the Galicia and Basque Country suffered heavy losses, coming third and fourth respectively.
Neither election is likely to break the political impasse resulting from two national elections since December last year, both of which failed to give any party an absolute majority.
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22