A BRITISH mother has been arrested in Spain after ‘leaving her seven-year-old son in a hotel room to go partying’.
The 25-year-old was held by police in Mallorca after returning at breakfast time following an ‘all-nighter’.
Authorities were alerted by hotel staff when they discovered the boy crying and complaining he had woken up all alone.
Police searched for the mother but could not find her until she returned later that morning.
The unnamed holidaymaker appeared in court yesterday but walked away free.
The boy has been taken into care while authorities decide whether or not his mother can take him back to the UK.
Reports say she has been handed a suspended sentence and will be jailed if she re-offends.
A police spokesman said: “A 25-year-old female British tourist was held on suspicion of abandoning her child early on Monday after leaving her seven-year-old boy alone in their hotel room.
“Several guests at the hotel in Calas de Mallorca alerted receptionists a boy was crying and was alone in the hotel.
“Police arrived to find the youngster was in a very nervous state and was indeed alone.
“The boy told police he was on holiday with his mum in Majorca and that he had woken up alone in their hotel room.
“He also said it wasn’t the first time he had been left alone.”
The hotel was unavailable to comment.
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22