SPAIN and France have drafted a resolution calling for an immediate truce in the Syrian capital of Aleppo.
The resolution calls for an end to military flights over the city, where more than 250,000 people are besieged by Syrian forces.
The draft then threatens ‘further measures’ – diplomatic code for sanctions – for any party that breaks the truce.
“We consider that this is our responsibility to do absolutely everything we can do, everything humanly possible to unite the Security Council behind our efforts to end the martyrdom in Aleppo,” France’s UN Ambassador Francois Delattre said.
Russia, who supports the regime in Syria, has already shot down the draft, rejecting any grounding of aircraft and questioning the viability of a truce.
Support from Russia has seen Syrian forces encircle East Aleppo, where continued attacks have damaged medical facilities in violation of international law.
Russia’s UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the international community should be grateful for their involvement in Syria as the ISIS flags ‘could be flying over Damascus’ by now.
“The primary goal of Russia in that part of the world, in Syria and Iraq, is to throw out the terrorists,” said Churkin.
“As long as the terrorists are there, there will be no peace and quiet for the civilians, in eastern Aleppo or anywhere else.”
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03