THERESA MAY has called on Britain to ‘seize the day’ as the UK prepares to invoke article 50 and withdraw from the EU.
Speaking at the Conservative party conference in Birmingham, the Prime Minister labelled Brexit a once-in-a-generation moment to ‘reshape our nation once again’.
She said Britain had been handed the ‘rare chance to write a new future upon the page’ as the Government ends Brussels’ rule and begins to ‘bring power home’.
She said in her keynote speech: “Come with me and we’ll write that brighter future.
“Come with me and we’ll make that change. Come with me as we rise to meet this moment.
“Come with me and together let’s seize the day.”
She said it is everyone’s responsibility to forge ahead and grasp the opportunity, whether they voted remain or leave, adding that a ‘change is going to come’ following the vote, which she described as a ‘quiet revolution’ in Britain.
She said: “A revolution in which millions of our fellow citizens stood up and said they were not prepared to be ignored anymore.
“Because this is a turning point for our country. A once-in-a-generation chance to change the direction of our nation for good.
“To step back and ask ourselves what kind of country we want to be.”
The speech was May’s first conference speech as Tory leader since replacing David Cameron, who she thanked for the ‘change’ he brought to the Conservatives.
But she said the party must ‘change again’ and shed its out-of-touch image.
She said: “We the Conservative Party truly are the party of the workers, the party of the public servants, the party of the NHS.”
She went on to blast the SNP and Jeremy Corbyn for being divisive figures in UK politics, and vowed to keep the Union together.
“We are one United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland – I will always fight to preserve our historic Union,” she said.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03