THE decision to hand Spain a €165m deal to build steel parts for Britain’s taxpayer-funded wind farms has sparked outrage.
Scottish Power, which is owned by Spanish giant Iberdrola, has awarded the lucrative building contracts to a shipyard in Spain which is owned by the Spanish government.
Critics say it flies in the face of the UK Government’s strategy to support British jobs and the decision has caused a crisis at Newcastle-based OGN Group which had hoped to secure the investment and 2,000 jobs.
Mary Glindon, Labour MP for North Tyneside, said: “If the Government wants to ensure work comes to British workers they have to take a stronger line with these companies.
“Why should the British taxpayer give money to support companies unless there’s some material benefit to the UK? It’s not international aid, it’s business.”
Scottish Power will receive millions in taxpayer-funded subsidies over the 15-year project, which will see the creation of a wind farm in East Anglia.
OGN is asking the Government to deliver on its promise to support British business and the Northern Powerhouse.
Scottish Power said it awarded the contract based on Spanish company Navantia’s technical and economic competitiveness.
A spokesman added: “We are working with a range of UK suppliers and supporting major investment in UK infrastructure.
“It is not possible to award contracts to every UK company which tenders, especially if bids for contracts are not competitive.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16