WITH an enormous glass of gin and tonic in one hand and a huge smile slapped across his face, the mayor of Arriate celebrated the 11th edition of the town’s Fiesta en el Aire as energetically as anyone.
Not your average alcalde, Melchor Conde Marin shook hands and danced with dozens of happy constituents as he joined thousands of residents – and numerous tourists – to toast yet another successful al fresco fest.
Rows of food and drink stalls lined the streets and artisan games were dotted about for kids to enjoy during the three-day fiesta.
Started in 2005, the weekend bash is rounded off with a live music concert in the town square.
Colourful art sculptures featuring umbrellas hanging between the streets and wooden chairs stacked atop of one another were another highlight of this year’s event.
The town is one of the most authentic in the Serrania and counts on one of the best restaurants in Andalucia, El Muelle (www.elmuelle-arriate.com), as well as a superb rural hotel Arriadh (www.arriadhhotel.com).
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00