Trevor Hart, 70, had to wrestle with the creature – which weighs an incredible 14 stone – for 45 minutes before hauling it out of the water with the help of his son Nick.
Nick said: “My dad has been fishing all his life but the biggest fish he caught before this was a 16lb pike. He usually fishes in Chesterfield in the local pond.
“The fish was bigger than my dad. He’s 6ft tall and weighs about 60kg but this fish is 90kg. It was very comical really.
“He was looking at the fish as if he’d won the lottery. It was a dream come true. It was really exhausting and he was knackered for the rest of the day. He needed a big sit down and a beer.”
The Derbyshire lads had got the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander before driving to Mequinenza in Aragona for a four day fishing excursion on the River Ebro with Monster Catfishing Tours.
Nick had caught his own monster catfish the day before, weighing in at 11 stone, but said his dad was thrilled to have beaten him.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22