MARIANO RAJOY has been sworn in for a second term after winning a confidence vote in parliament at the weekend.
The moment ends ten months of political deadlock, which saw two general elections end with no party receiving the necessary overall majority.
The leader of the conservative Partido Popular secured a simple majority in Saturday’s vote, meaning he will rule with a minority government.
He will have an uphill battle on his hands given the deeply divided congress of deputies and the increase of corruption scandals that have embattled his party.
Following the vote at the weekend, thousands of people took to the streets around congress to protest against Rajoy, the corruption allegations and his unpopular austerity measures during his first term.
The PSOE and Podemos parties have vowed to fight the minority government.
PSOE spokesman Antonio Hernando said Rajoy is now ‘under the close watch of everyone in this congress.’
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03