SOME 220 African migrants forced their way through a fence on the border between Morocco and the Spanish enclave of Ceuta yesterday.
Three police officers and 32 migrants were treated in hospital for minor injuries following a clash.
“The migrants demonstrated a hostile and violent attitude. Many were armed with sticks and they attacked the officers when they tried to prevent them from entering,” said a Spanish government’s representative in Ceuta.
The migrants were taken to a short-stay immigrant centre while Spanish authorities determine their legal status.
Police have also been looking for a handful of others who made it across the barbed-wire fence and fled into the surrounding hills.
Ceuta along with Melilla, are the European Union’s only land borders with Africa, and are favoured entry points for African migrants seeking a better life in Europe.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15