WORLD Diabetes Day (WDD) is celebrated every year on November 14, led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF).
It engages millions of people worldwide in diabetes advocacy, draws attention to issues of paramount importance to the diabetes world and keeps the health condition firmly in the public spotlight. Visit www.idf.org to find out more.
How can diabetes affect eye sight?
Diabetes affects the small blood vessels and capillaries of the body. Changes can occur in the blood vessels at the back of the eye, causing diabetic retinopathy.
Diabetes can also have other ocular pathological effects including cataracts and retinal detachments. Severe changes, if left untreated, can result in blindness.
What can we do to prevent damage to the eye from diabetes?
In order to avoid problems with sight, it is important that blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are controlled.
Not all diabetes causes sight loss, but it is important to have regular screenings and eye tests so that any problems or changes can be monitored.
How can an eye test spot signs of diabetes and other health conditions?
Digital Retinal Photography (DRP) is one of the latest pieces of technology which can help optometrists to make a comprehensive health assessment by taking a picture of the back of the eye. This is the only part of the human body where the microcirculation of blood can be observed directly, so DRP helps to identify changes that might be associated with certain eye conditions, including diabetic retinopathy.
If necessary, the optician can refer patients directly for further medical examination to their hospital or general practitioner.
Specsavers Opticas in Fuengirola and Marbella are currently offering free comprehensive eye tests which include health checks. To book an eye test or find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36
- A simple eye test can uncover a host of underlying diseases - 8 Feb, 2017 @ 15:30