SPAIN had its first look at the largest and brightest full moon since 1948 last night as the ‘supermoon’ began to rise.
One of the first witnesses was the iconic Osborne bull, which sits high on a hilltop in the town of Guadalajara near Madrid.
The full moon is expected to come nearer to Earth than at any time in the last 68 years.
If skies are clear, the full moon will appear up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter than usual.
The biggest it will appear in Spain will be at around 2pm today, but it will still appear much larger than usual tonight.
With little to no cloud forecast along the Costa del Sol, the moon should stand out from any vantage point, although it will appear more impressive in dimly lit areas.
A supermoon occurs when the timing of a full moon overlaps with the point in the moon’s 28-day orbit that is closest to Earth.
About every 14th full moon is a supermoon.
The next time a full moon comes as close to Earth as this supermoon will be in 2034.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15