Some 200 people gathered in Madrid’s Plaza Oriente yesterday as they raised their right arms and sang the Cara al Sol anthem.
Organised by far-right groups The Spanish Catholic Movement and the Falange, protesters were seen holding placards with phrases like ‘Make Spain Great Again’ – a play on Donald Trump’s campaign slogan.
A gay homeless protestor, Lagarder Danciu, was violently assaulted by a group of the fascists who kicked him repeatedly and hit him around the head until police intervened.
Danciu had held up a sign reading ‘Franco asesino’ – Franco killer – in a counter-protest.
Masses, organised by the Francisco Franco Foundation, were also held across Spain to honour the dictator, while others organised marches.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22