THE SIERRA Nevada ski season has got off to a flying start thanks to an abundance of snow.
Currently, 42 kilometres of routes are open to snow lovers at the Granada resort, one of the largest amounts for an opening weekend in recent memory.
Skiers and snowboarders took to the slopes in their droves last weekend to mark the start of one of the world´s longest ski seasons, which will not end until April 30.
51 of the 124 slopes are currently open, including Tubo del Veleta, Panorámico, Tubo de Borreguiles , Lastrón and Descenso Damas, the last of which opened today thanks to more overnight snow.
Nine out of 24 ski lifts are also in operation at the resort, where the day time temperature has got down to -2c.
More snow is expected throughout the day.
A spokesperson for the resort, said: “It´s one of the largest number of kilometres we´ve had open at the beginning of the season that we can remember.
“We´re really pleased and are looking forward to more snow in time for the weekend.”
This year will see the opening of the completely remodelled black run La Visera.
New credit card machines have been installed to reduce queue times for one-to-seven-day ski passes, alongside new snow breaks, snow guns and halfpipe competition lights.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09