ENGLAND’S World Cup hero Sir Geoff Hurst is desperately fighting to recoup hundreds of thousands of euros lost in a Marbella property nightmare.
The 1966 World Cup final hat-trick hero is among thousands of British citizens hoping to recoup money lost during the property crash.
Soliciting Marbella-based law firm Bufete Salmeron, Hurst is hoping to reclaim the €270,000 he put down as a deposit on a dream hope in Marbella in 2004.
“We loved holidaying in Spain and it was a natural step to buy,” he said. “Until now I had written off the money, however we have renewed home now that some similar cases have seen their money returned.”
Legal firm Bufete Salmeron has already retrieved lost deposits a number of Spanish firms and Hurst has now asked them to pursue his claim.
Hurst, like thousands more, lost his deposit in 2008 when the developer failed to meet bank loan repayments and went bust.
Until now, banks have not been accountable for returning the lost deposits, but a court ruling in 2013 now means that banks must return deposits.
In total 100,000 Brits are said to have lost €4 billion in deposits on off-plan properties that were never built.
When contacted by the Olive Press a spokesman for Bufete Salmeron confirmed they are following up Hurst’s claim as well as a number of other British investors.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36