A FUNDRAISER has been launched to help repatriate the body of a flood victim.
Sam Turner of Sotogrande wants to raise €1,000 to cover part of the cost to fly home the remains of Romanian Ionela Olguta Pantelimon, the 23-year-old nightclub worker who drowned in Club California in Estepona.
Turner, 30, was moved into action after learning that Olguta’s parents, from the a town called Braila, cannot afford the €7,000 cost to repatriate her body.
Olguta became trapped in the basement of the building on December 4, the day the Costa del Sol saw its worst flooding since 1989.
“I just think that it is heart-breaking situation”, said Turner, who launched the fundraiser on the Just Giving website.
“It is terrible enough that the parents lost her daughter, without the added trauma of not being able to afford to bring her back home so they can bury her near to them.
“I work full time but wanted to do something to help flood victims and I think this is a really worthy cause.
“I have managed to get the bank details of her parents, so will send all the money raised by January 16 straight to them.”
The money will be added to the €3,500 total promised by the Romanian Consulate in Sevilla for the service.
To donate, click here.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09