BRITS’ mobile phone charges may be set to soar when they visit the continent post-Brexit.
Mobile phone operators are planning for a worst case scenario of higher call and data charges once the UK finalises its exit from the union.
The networks fear that European companies could seize the opportunity to raise the wholesale cost of calls and data for Britons travelling around Europe because the EU-wide caps implemented by Brussels will no longer apply.
The feared hikes could see Brits pay up to €50 to stream a single song on their phone.
It comes after the European Commission has already indicated that a quick bilateral deal between the UK and the EU on roaming charges will not be possible.
The German commissioner responsible for telecoms policy, Gunther Oettinger, said last year that there are ‘obvious restraints’ as World Trade Organisation rules state that any bilateral agreement outside a comprehensive free-trade deal would have to be extended to all other WTO members.
Industry experts have also warned that negotiating roaming rights as part of any trade deal would be difficult.
Countries like Spain, which receives high numbers of British tourists, may be unwilling to offer good terms because tourist traffic and congestion on networks would be weighted in one direction.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15