Signed between the two countries in 2015, it commits the US to cleaning up the site in Almeria, where a B-52 bomber went down with four hydrogen bombs in 1966.
The area became heavily polluted after the non-nuclear detonators from two of the bombs exploded, contaminating two square kilometers with plutonium.
Madrid and Washington had agreed in October 2015 that the US would foot the €640 million bill to remove 50,000 cubic meters of contaminated soil.
But the agreement could not be implicated due to Spain’s crippling political deadlock throughout most of 2016.
They then had to wait until the result of the US presidential election as the cost of the agreement meant the Obama administration could not push it forward on its way out.
The recent resignation of US amabassador to Spain James Costos means it is likely Trump will renegotiate the terms.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35