THE body of a young boy has washed up on a southern Spanish beach.
He is believed to have been a six-to seven-year-old migrant attempting to reach Europe.
Authorities say the lifeless body was found on Friday in Barbate, in the Cadiz province.
A government spokesperson said: “The hypothesis is that he was a migrant,” before adding that other bodies had washed up further east on the shore just a couple of weeks before.
They are now investigating if there are any links.
It follows the shocking moment Aylan Kurdi’s dead body was photographed on a Turkish beach in September 2015.
The picture of the three year old, who had been fleeing the war in Syria, sent shock waves around the world.
Some 13,426 migrants arrived in Spain last year, with more than 8,000 coming by sea.
Italy and Greece received 181,000 and 177,000 respectively.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15