JOHN ‘Goldfinger’ Palmer’s top lieutenant has flown back to the UK from Spain to face questioning over his boss’s brutal murder.
Richard Cashman, 50, voluntarily returned to Britain, where he attended a police station by appointment and was questioned under caution as a potential suspect.
Just four week’s before Palmer was shot dead in his Essex home in 2015, Cashman had been charged alongside him with involvement in an alleged multi-million euro timeshare fraud.
British police believe the timing could prove significant.
A police spokesman said: “A 50-year-old man has today, Saturday, February 4, been questioned on suspicion of the murder of John Palmer in Brentwood in June 2015.
“The man is originally from Tyneside but is currently living in southern Spain. He was interviewed at a police station in the UK.
“Enquiries in to Mr Palmer’s murder are on going and detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information to contact the Brentwood Major Investigation Team.”
Palmer, or Goldfinger, was once known as the UK’s richest criminal, and is thought to have been worth around €350 million.
Palmer was due to stand trial for property fraud in Spain at the time of his death.
He got the name ‘Goldfinger’ after he was arrested on suspicion of melting down gold from the infamous Brink’s-Mat robbery at London’s Heathrow Airport.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15