A DUO of European lawyers are demanding answers over a ‘classified’ court case that has kept a Spanish family behind bars for almost 18 months without being charged.
Deputy of the European Parliament Jean-Luc Shaffhauser, from France, and deputy of European Parliament, Georgios Epitideios, from Greece, have asked the Consejo General del Poder Judicial and the General Prosecutor of Spain to explain what is happening to Vladimir Kokorev, his wife Yuliia and his son Igor.
Las Palmas Court No. 5 suspects all three family members of money laundering and they have been kept in prison on the Canary Islands for almost a year and a half.
But there has yet to be any formal charges brought against the Kokorevs while the case has been labelled classified.
The defense claims they have documentary evidence that can prove the legitimacy of all contracts concluded by the Kokorevs’ companies.
The deputies said in a statement: “It is difficult not to agree with the defense’s opinion, which states that the record is being kept secret to hide the lack of evidence against the Kokorevs.
“It makes you think that this is a political case and that there are interests being served.
“Otherwise it is impossible to explain the obvious and flagrant violations of the norms of international law and the laws of the Kingdom of Spain.”
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33
- Two Andalucia villages make it onto list of Spain’s seven rural wonders - 30 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00