South African Leib Berger, 53, who went under the name Lawrence Goldberg, had been jailed for two years in 2011 for stealing more than €1.1 million through a Self Assessment tax fraud.
Posing as a nominated tax agent, he hijacked innocent people’s identities and invented other clients to send fraudulent tax returns to the UK’s HMRC.
In December 2012, Berger was ordered to repay £249,999 to the HMRC by December 2013 or receive a default prison sentence of 16 months.
He fled to Spain instead, where he remained as a fugitive.
It was then revealed that Berger was hiding further assets, leading authorities to increase the amount he had to pay back to £1.5 million.
Just four weeks later, the default prison sentence was amended to six years.
Berger was eventually tracked down and arrested in Spain on February 7 of this year, before being extradited yesterday.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16