It comes after the shock decision by a Vienna court to grant a request to extradite Dmitry Firtash – one of Ukraine’s richest and most powerful men – to the US to face bribery charges.
Spain was also granted a European arrest warrant and Firtash was picked up by Austrian police shortly after.
The court will now have to decide between the US and Spanish requests.
Firtash is thought to have served as a leader of a money laundering ring in Catalonia, where he is suspected of laundering at least €10 million through property deals as well as restaurant businesses.
He is said to have reacted with ‘silent horror’ as the Austrian court, filled with his family and associates, read out its ruling.
The developments are a dramatic setback for Firtash, whose business and political relationships stretch from the top echelons of Russia and Ukraine to close associates of US President Donald Trump – he had pursued property dealings with Trump’s previous campaign manager Paul Manafort.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16