SPANISH cops have seized an astonishing arms haul of over 10,000 firearms and grenades.
The jaw-dropping cache of machine guns, assault rifles and rifles was uncovered by police from Madrid, Girona, Valencia and Bilbao in a joint operation.
The weapons belonged to an organised criminal gang, who used an illegal workshop near Bilbao to store and reactivate the weapons.
Five people have been arrested following the operation, which also uncovered €80,000.
Criminals are believed to have purchased the weapons through auctions before reactivating them.
Police say they were being sold throughout Spain, France and Belgium and could easily have ended up in the hands of terrorists.
The gang had used a sports shop as a front to sell the weapons.
Reactivating deactivated weapons is one of the most popular ways for European criminals to access illegal weapons.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00