The 22-year-old has become eligible to earn Ryder Cup points when qualifying begins on August 31.
It comes after he joined the European Tour as an affiliate member following his first PGA Tour title in the Farmers Insurance Open in January.
Rahm, from Barrika in the Basque country, was the world’s top ranked amateur while studying at Arizona state university, and has now soared to 38th in the world rankings.
“I have always wanted to play the Ryder Cup and I have always wanted to be a member of the European Tour,” Rahm said.
“I have obviously taken a different approach to tour life than a lot of other Europeans who went to college in the States, but I thought this was my best shot.
“I’m surprised I have been able to take this opportunity so early but it’s great to be able to join.”
Assuming Rahm will stay within the top 50, he will be allowed to compete in the first five events of the newly-launched Rolex Series that begins in May with the BMW PGA Championships.
Rahm now has a serious chance of being part of the European team at the next Ryder Cup, which will be held at Le Golf National in Paris.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03