The unnamed 43-year-old received a bullet to his backside after ignoring orders to stop his violent assault in Albox, near Almeria.
He remains under police guard at La Inmaculada Hopsital in Huercal-Overa, where his condition has been described as ‘serious’.
His alleged victim, also a Brit, was unharmed thanks to the rapid police response.
According to local reports, the man had breached a restraining order to find his ex and try to harm her.
A Guardia Civil spokesman said: “He had managed to get into his ex-partner’s home and was waiting for her when she returned.
“He had a knife in his hand and was trying to attack her when officers arrived. They used their weapons after he ignored their orders to stop.
“He will be questioned when he is well enough but at the moment saving his life has to be the primary concern.”
A local source who witnessed the incident told the Daily Star: “Officers fired into the air to warn him off before having to shoot him.”
He was shot at four times, with at least one bullet landing in his backside, which required an operation to remove.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16