President of the Marbella PP Angeles Muñoz has submitted an amendment to the municipal budget which would scrap the ferias in a bid to launch an ’employment plan’.
Muñoz wants €2.1 million to implement a jobs drive and will get the cash from the events budget.
This would make it impossible for Marbella or San Pedro to have their ferias this year.
Specifically, the PP wants to take €336,086 from the money set aside for San Pedro and €766,215 from Marbella.
In total, Muñoz proposes to withdraw €1,102,301 euros from the festivals budget and allocate it to the employment plan – details of which have yet to emerge.
They would remove another million euros for legal services, bringing the total to €2.1 million.
The amendment was initially approved this morning, despite not enough time being given to opposition groups to challenge it.
The budget change will face widespread criticism and likely legal challenges.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03