SPAIN has joined Switzerland and Germany in rejecting the UK’s flight ban on cabin gadgets.
The three countries have confirmed they will not introduce a ban on devices including iPads, Kindles and game consoles onboard on flights coming from six ‘terror hotspots’ in the Middle East and North Africa.
It comes after the UK followed the US’s lead in introducing the ban on all flights coming from Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Lebanon, Jordan and Saudi Arabia.
But without a Europe wide ban, defence experts fear there will be a security ‘loophole’.
Michael Clarke, former director general of the defence think tank, the Royal United Services Institute, told the Times there was ‘potentially a huge loophole as it only applies to flights from those countries to the UK’.
“What is stopping terrorists from flying here from there via a European country?”
The ban has already caused chaos as airlines claim they have been left in the dark as to when the ban begins and as passengers have been told their gadgets won’t be insured.
Experts have called it ‘pointless’, arguing that potential terrorists could still bring a plane down by placing a bomb in the luggage hold.
They could also fly from a country that doesn’t have the ban in place.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16