The new threat, revealed in a report by Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, places Marbella, Granada and Malaga under ‘serious threat’.
The monster wave would be caused by a quake striking the Alboran sea, north-east of Morocco, which is currently being squeezed between the Iberian and African tectonic plates.
The building pressure would lead to a fault, triggering an earthquake and setting off a massive wave that would head straight to the coast.
The report says the region would face a 2/5 danger level, meaning there is a ‘severe land threat with maximum wave elevations.’
“In this area, especially on the coast of Granada, maximum wave elevations can locally exceed 1m,” the report states.
It details that the areas of Malaga and Granada would face a ‘land threat’ with around one metre waves.
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54