A BRITON fell asleep on his yacht in Marbella and washed up on a beach in Cadiz more than 100 miles away.
The unnamed 65-year-old appeared disorientated when he emerged from his boat and realised he was no longer in Marbella but on La Caleta beach in Cadiz.
He was helped from his boat by the Maritime Rescue service and local friemen but did not need medical attention.
A sweeper alerted authorities to the vessel at around 5.50am on Wednesday morning.
The man said he had fallen asleep on the Miss Brenda, the name of his boat, in Puerto Banus.
He believed his anchor broke, allowing his boat to drift away.
Amazingly, the Brit crossed the Straits of Gibraltar without being disturbed.
Upon leaving his boat he only requested a hotel room, and was transferred to a central hotel in the capital of Cadiz.
A spokesman for the local coastguards confirmed: “We were called by the Civil Guard around 5.40am yesterday.
“They were alerted by council workers cleaning La Caleta beach who spotted the yacht heading for rocks as it sounded its siren.
“The vessel had run aground near the shore by the time we mobilised a rescue team so firefighters helped the occupant to safety in the end.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16