SERGIO Garcia has finally won a major after seventy-three attempts.
After four times a runner-up, 12 top fives and 22 top tens, the 37-year-old Spaniard claimed a career-affirming victory at the Augusta National Masters in Georgia, USA.
It comes after 18 seasons of not-quites and might-have-beens which earned him the title ‘best player to never win a major.’
Five years ago, on the same green, he said: “I’m not good enough. I don’t have the thing I need to have. I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to play for second or third place.”
After falling to the back nine and looking down and out, Garcia birdied the first hole of his final round on the Sunday to go a shot clear of frontrunner and Briton Justin Rose before rolling in an eight-foot birdie on the fourth to go two clear.
“I was very calm, much calmer than yesterday (Saturday), much calmer than I’ve felt probably in any major championship,” he said.
He claimed the title in the first extra playoff hole with a 13ft putt after Rose came back to tie in the final round.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22