TRIBUTES have been pouring in for an elderly British cyclist who was killed by a drug driver in Palma.
Bryan Stout, 86, who often campaigned for improved cycling safety in the UK, was mowed down by a 48-year-old local in Port d’Alcudia.
Stout – a member of the London Cycling Campaign and Stop Killing Cyclists – was killed instantly before the ambulance and police arrived at the scene.
“Brian was a great character, a kind man with a dry sense of humour,” friend Billy-Joe Whenman told the Olive Press.
“He was a lover of cycling and always had time to talk,” added the pal, who was in Mallorca with him.
“All in all he was a great man, I call him a legend. Many stories I have from time spent with Brian will stay with me, he was always happy and had good banter.
“He was an excellent example of what a man should be, a true gentleman.”
The unnamed driver tested positive for alcohol and drugs and was arrested on the spot.
Son Alex Stout said of his father: “He was a hero through and through, he was my mentor, my inspiration, my friend and my comedy partner.
“He was doing the thing he loved the most in the place he called home from home riding his bike in the sun and for that I take solace.”
He added: “My father never wanted a funeral and said if we did have one for him we had better book a comedian, so rather than that we will be celebrating his life with a party, the way he would have wanted it, hats and all!”
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22