BRITISH Airways have delayed ending free food and drink on their short-haul flights from London’s City Airport after a British father launched a successful legal challenge.
The controversial move was due to take place in August but has now been moved back to October.
It comes after father-of-three John Barber spent €2,300 on eight tickets for his wife and kids and family members to fly from London City Airport to Mallorca this August.
Barber, who bought the tickets weeks before BA’s announced changes, argued that it was unfair that the company would not be providing the service he had paid for.
Barber calculated that if had purchased the same items as he was given for free on the same flight last year – a bottle of water, a small bottle of wine or soft drink, a sandwich and crisps – he would be charged an extra €185 on the new Marks & Spencer’s menu.
He lodged a claim for €374 that included his added costs.
BA pushed back the date their changes come into effect, likely fearing similar claims being repeated, claim consumer groups.
Barber, 40, from Peterborough, said: “I suspect the only reason they changed the cut-off date is because they did not want to go through a court case and open the door to lots of other claims. However, that doesn’t mean they are in the clear.
“We also need BA to make absolutely clear to everyone…exactly when this change is going to come into effect.”
A spokesman for BA would not give a reason for the delay but said: “We now offer a range of M&S sandwiches and salads for under £5, and snacks from £1. Customers say they prefer the new selection.”
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15