THE King of Clay is returning home to Mallorca following another career milestone in Barcelona.
30-year-old Rafael Nadal won his 10th title at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell in a comfortable victory over Dominic Thiem, just one week after winning his 10th Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.
He remains unbeaten in the Barcelona finals and has the best clay record than any other player from the Open Era.
He now has now won 51 clay tournaments, two ahead of previous record holder Guillermo Vilas, from Argentina.
“I’m very satisfied. It’s been an emotional day for me. Winning a 10th title here is something difficult to describe. Playing in front of my crowd and my club and winning the 10th title here is something that’s impossible to even dream of. It’s very special and unique,” said Nadal.
“I played my best match of the tournament this afternoon against probably the toughest opponent in the tournament, so I’m very happy.”
The world No.5 added: “Now is the time for me to enjoy these two weeks that are very special. I’ll go home to Mallorca and have some rest, then start to think about Madrid and Rome.
“They’re two very important events for me, so I’m excited about it.”
Nadal has sought to avoid discussing the French Open at Roland Garros, where he will be vying for his tenth title.
If victorious, he will be the first player ever to win a single major grand slam tournament ten times.
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22