JEAN-CLAUDE Juncker has said the English language is losing its importance in Europe.
The president of the European Commission made the comments during a speech in Florence amid simmering tensions over Brexit negotiations.
Speaking to European diplomats and experts, he went on to label the UK’s divorce from the EU as a ‘tragedy’.
“Slowly but surely English is losing importance in Europe,” he said, “The French will have elections on Sunday and I would like them to understand what I am saying.”
He switched to speaking in French after finishing his opening remarks.
He added that Britain decided to leave the bloc despite historic successes and a recent uptick in economic growth.
“Our British friends decided to leave the EU, which is a tragedy,” he said.
Although vowing to negotiate with the UK in full transparency, he added: “There should be no doubt whatsoever that it is not the EU that is abandoning the UK, they are abandoning the European Union and this is a difference which will be felt over the next few years.”
President of the European Council Donald Tusk was forced to intervene, asking May to show ‘moderation and respect’.
Tusk said: “These negotiations are difficult enough as they are, if we start arguing before they even begin, they will become impossible.
“The stakes are too high to let our emotions get out of hand because at stake are the daily lives and interests of millions of people on both sides of the Channel.”
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35